Varnish Transfer Application
Successful application of the original type English varnish transfers requires timing and attention to detail. Most have been replicated in modern pressure-sensitive from, but varnish transfers are still in circulation. We offer a few for sale on the preceding pages.
If you are a purist, and you have found original type transfers for your machine, the following will be of great interest to you.
These directions come from Mr. A. Wharton, who says, "I used to transfer all the Panther motorcycles from 1933 until 1966 when the last Panther was made."
Fixing Transfers with Varnish
- Cover transfer with thin, even coat of quick drying varnish.
- Wait until varnish is tacky.
- Place transfer on article where required.
- Press transfer very firmly in place, peel away first paper.
- Wet the bottom paper until it slips off.
- Carefully clean transfer with Tarps, leave to dry.
- Varnish transfer and article completely.
Although this technique seems easy enough, we recommend that you practice before trying it out on a freshly refinished tank.